The White Boxer Chronicles - Copyright © 2009

Printed with permission from Kerry Sullivan

Your Name: Kerry
Your pet: Molly

My mom who was bedridden asked me for a puppy. After much discussion (me telling her why we couldn't have one) I said fine. Of course she wanted a white boxer, female, puppy. We had one for 11 years and she was the best dog ever. I drove 6 hours to meet with some people who breed boxers. Picked up Molly and drove back to Connecticut. An hour into our trip back, I realized that Molly was deaf.

I could not get a hold of the people so continued home. Once home Molly cuddled with my mom whom I told not to get used to her she was going back she was deaf. Of course my mom said NO she is not going back, you and I both know what will become of her. Needless to say Molly stayed.

House training was a little difficult compaired to our other boxer. Molly however, learned quickly not to poop in the house, but peeing was another subject. She would go to the door and if no one was paying attention to her she would pee on the carpet. Finally I thought, lets try bells. I hung bells on the door, took her to the door, rang the bells, walked her outside and bame she was housebroken (very smart).

I also started using sign language with her, Molly knows approximately 25 signs. After 2 years of Molly being with my mom and her caregivers from 8-4 every day and me from 4pm - 8am, we all pretty much learned what she wanted when she wanted it (yes she trained us well).

My mom was in and out of the hospital a bit and everytime I would take Molly to visit her. She would always go to the other patients and spend time with them and they would be amazed to learn that Molly was deaf. The funny part was that she would ignore my mom and even the day mom came home she would give her the cold shoulder (how dare she leave her).

A year ago this February 7, I brought Molly to the hospital to visit mom and this visit was different. As soon as the elevator opened Molly took off and sniffing along ran right to mom's room. She said hi to mom's roommate but then went right over to mom and jumped into bed with her, layed on her chest and cried. Of course mom was petting her calling her silly and telling her she would be home in two days. Took a lot to get Molly to leave that evening. Well you might have guessed, mom passed away the next evening, not 24 hours after Molly left the hospital.

Well Molly now really was my dog. I tended to put all the care I was giving my mom onto Molly. I felt bad for her because she was used to people being with her all day, never being on her own. I tried to get her into doggie daycare but they wouldn't take her because she was deaf.

I had another dog coming over two days a week to spend time with her while the other dogs mom worked, but that wasn't working too go (though they are still great friends) and then I came across the little girl down the street who was looking for a little job. She now walks Molly three days a week after school, and I go home for lunch every day, so she doesn't spend too much time on her own.

I have neighbors who will go in and get her if it is a nice day and take her outside or for a walk. Her favorite place is a huge state owned facility (that is closed) which is right on the water. There are no cars allowed so she can run free, while I walk. We have met many dogs here and she plays and plays and plays. People are always amazed at how she keeps an eye on me and I wave to her and she comes running. They always remark how I don't even yell for her and she comes. How well she sits for me to re-leash her etc. They are always amazed when I say she is deaf.

Molly is by far one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. Her little doggie friend Annie and her mom come over often to play. At times they are there too long (you know when you don't want to be rude and tell them to go?). One day they were there a long time and like three year olds the dogs would take whatever the other had, would want the couch the other was on, etc. Molly comes over to me and starts talking (makes more sounds than any hearing dog I have had). I kept saying and signing I know. All of a sudden Molly goes to the other room, comes back with the other dogs leash and drops it between the other mom's legs. The other mom says, guess she is telling us it is time to go. Of course I was signing to Molly good girl, good girl, the entire time!

Mom made me keep Molly and Mom gave me my bestfriend, Molly!

Back to WBC Deaf Pet page

Printed with permission from Kerry Sullivan
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

Thankyou for visiting
the White Boxer Chronicles.

Come back often to see new postings about
Charles-Clyde and Mavis.
Meanwhile, be thoughtful of others and, remember:
Be good to yourself !